Migrate SQL Server 2008 R2 to Microsoft cloud database SQL Azure:
If you’re a small company, migrating your SQL server databases from an on-premise SQL Server 2008 to cloud SQL Azure service makes perfect sense. In such a manner you are able to cut some of the overhead you incur by having SQL Server in house. You can also use the “Pay what you Consume” model which can be beneficial in database computing costs. Finally you do not have to worry about high availability and redundancy as this feature is built into the cloud databases from Microsoft SQL Azure.
For this discussion on SQL Azure we are simply going to list the steps that are involved in migrating database from SQL server 2008 database to a SQL Azure at a higher level. Further details of this are included in the sample training video towards the end of this Azure article. For today’s purpose we will be using SQL Azure migration wizard which is a free utility that can be downloaded from this website:
Using this utility we will not only move SQL Azure database objects including tables, stored procedures, views and functions but also move the underlying data in SQL Azure database. In order to transfer the SQL Server database you have to follow the following steps:
9 Easy steps to Migrate SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Azure:
1. Download the migration and wizard utility from this location,
2. Installed the application on your database server and start the Migration wizard.
3. Select SQL Azure Database under the Analyze and Migrate option.
4. Make a connection to the source SQL database which in our case is going to be Northwind running on SQL Server 2008 R2.
5. Select all the necessary SQL Server database objects like procs, views, tables and functions and any other advanced options that you would like to migrate to SQL Azure. This will generate the TSQL (Transact SQL) code for creation of objects and movement of data to the cloud database.
6.Make a connection to the destination server which in our case is going to be SQL Azure in the Microsoft cloud environment
7. Choose to create a new database and select the proper Cloud database edition and database size
8. Finally go ahead and execute the TSQL Scripts
9. Connect to the destination SQL Azure database and verify that objects and data are migrated.
The above steps on SQL Azure Migration are illustrated in this video:
Video Location: http://sqlazuretutorials.com/free-videos/Migrate-SQL-Azure-Youtube.wmv
For more information and training videos, visit our SQL Azure video page.